Monday, March 30, 2009

A tree for our angel

Somewhere in the days immediately following the loss of Julian, Ralph and I decided we would plant a tree for him. God knows Bakersfield could use some trees and we though it would be a sweet way to remind us of him.

Now this was almost a year and a half ago. And of course with April keeping our hands full, the past 5 months have given us no time to get our tree. Well yesterday, we dropped her off at Ralph's mother's house and went to get our tree! There were so many to choose from. I wanted a flowering one, a big one, a shady one, a fruit one. I wanted them all. We settled on a little tiny Japanese Maple tree. The bark is a beautiful burgundy color and it has soft, bright green leaves. It's only about four feet tall right now, but that's fine. I chose the smallest one because I want to watch it grow. We planted it yesterday and it looks perfect in our front yard.

We'll be moving out of this house soon. It will be sad to leave the tree behind, but we will plant another wherever we go. I asked Ralph what if we come back to visit in a few years and the new owners have let the tree die or cut it down? It would break my heart.

I want to get some sort of stepping stone or something with his name on it to put under the tree.

I'll take pics of it later today and post them. Maybe when the sun it setting. :)

3 comments:

  1. that is great! :) I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could always di up the tree and take it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful idea with planting a tree. I lost my little brother as an infant and my parents did the same thing. His name was Adam and they planted an Adam's Crab Apple Tree. It blooms these beautiful pink buds before producing seeds. We moved out of that house and bought/planted one there too. I think many people love Japanese Maples, so I would imagine the next family would take care of it! I honored my brother by giving his name as my son's middle name.
    BBC - April 10-30.

    ReplyDelete